If you love eating ginger biscuits, you’ll love making and tucking into these chewy spiced ginger cookies containing ginger, cinnamon and cloves. The hour while the dough chills in the fridge will be worth the wait!
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 8-11 minutes
Dough chill time: 1 hour
Makes approximately 4 dozen cookies
½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup of Trex vegetable fat
1 cup of brown sugar, packed
1 cup of granulated sugar, divided
½ a cup of molasses
2 large eggs, room temperature
4½ cups of all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons of baking soda
2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon of ground cloves
½ a teaspoon of salt
- Cream the butter, Trex, brown sugar, and ½ a cup of granulated sugar in a large mixing bowl with a hand-held mixer.
- Mix in the molasses, and then add the eggs and mix to combine.
- In a separate large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and spices. Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until thoroughly incorporated. Transfer the dough to the refrigerator and chill for one hour.
- While the dough is chilling, place top oven rack in the centre position and pre-heat oven to 375°F. Line two large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper or a *Silpat® baking mat and set aside.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and form into 1-inch balls. Roll balls of dough in remaining ½ cup granulated sugar until coated.
- Place balls of dough onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving 2 inches between each ball. Place in the pre-heated oven and bake for 8 – 11 minutes or until cookies are nicely browned and cooked through.
- Remove cookies from oven and cool on wire rack before serving. Enjoy!