“Life is not perfect but your nails can be.”
Keeping our nails and cuticles healthy is important, as mistreating them can have negative effects on us in many different ways. Some examples are biting your nails and picking the skin and cuticles around the nail. When your nails look good, you’ll feel good. This post will show you a few ways to help you to stop nail biting (Onychophagia).
What does nail biting indicate?
Nail biting can indicate that you are simply bored and have formed a habit. For some people nail biting is due to stress and anxiety, or they just need to keep their hands busy.
How to stop nail biting
Nail biting can be overcome with a few simple tips:
- Wearing an anti-nail biting polish – This nail polish is made to taste bitter and unpleasant, to help prevent the biting of the nails. This can also be used to discourage thumb-sucking in children.
- Keeping your hands or mouth busy – Keeping your hands distracted with certain things such as a stress toy, or chewing gum can eliminate the urge to bite.
- Getting a manicure – going to a nail salon and getting your nails painted will make them look attractive and therefore you won’t want to ruin them.
- Wear gloves – If you just can’t stop going for those nails, wearing a pair of gloves will stop you in your tracks and make you think before you start picking and chewing.
Nail biting prevention for adults and children. Its bitter taste prevents you from constantly nibbling on your nails.
What are the effects of nail biting?
Biting your nails and skin can have a negative impact on the health of your nails, these may include having sore fingers and infected nails (paronychia); a change in the way your nails grow; damaging your teeth from frequent chewing, and getting ill from the bacteria that may lie on your hands.
How can I make my nails grow faster?
Although there isn’t a way to make your nails grow at a rapid pace, they will grow at approximately a millimetre each month. You can improve their appearance and help them heal while you are waiting.
- Using certain oils – Jojoba oil contains vitamins such as E and B, which helps to repair damaged nail beds, improving the strength of the nails and promoting healthy nail growth. Cuticle oils are also widely available to buy.
- Keep yourself healthy and eat well. Illness stunts the growth of nails, so keeping yourself well is essential.
Sally Hansen Vitamin E Nail and Cuticle Oil, 13.3ml.
If you’ve been biting your nails for years, it’s going to take time to get them looking good again. Be patient and try to resist the urge to nibble at them. Follow the tips above and massage cuticle oil into the nail and cuticle area daily. Gently file the nails regularly to keep them shapely and prevent snagging.