This simple recipe will show you how to make carrot dog biscuits that will keep your dog happy and healthy. Carrots are a great, budget-friendly way to help your dog maintain a healthy weight. Carrots also provide vitamins and minerals that are good for their eyesight, joints, heart health and more.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 2 tablespoons molasses/treacle
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup water
- For the filling: 4 ounces cream cheese, softened (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees centigrade.
- Keeping the cream cheese to one side, mix the remaining ingredients thoroughly.
- Roll the dough out to 1/4 – inch thickness on a lightly floured surface, then use a cookie cutter or knife to create your biscuit shapes.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 30 minutes until cooked and browned.
- Remove the cookies from oven and allow to cool.
- Spread the cream cheese on top for an extra tasty treat or sandwich two dog biscuits together.
- Make sure the cookies are cooled completely before serving. Keep them stored in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
Dog Biscuit Cookie Cutters
Bone and paw-shaped cookie cutters are readily available. If you’d rather not spend the money on cookie cutters, simply use a knife to create your own shapes or use an inverted glass.
Here are a few ideas:
Dog Bone Cookie Cutter set – 4 Dog Bone, 4 Pawprint and 3 Round Biscuit Cutters.
3 Piece Dog Bone Cookie Cutter Set with Recipe Booklet.
Are Carrots a Good Snack for Dogs?
Carrots are a healthy snack for dogs, unless your dog is allergic to them. They are loaded with vitamin A, beta-carotene, potassium, and fibre. They are also low in calories so they can be a great snack for our furry friends. The best way to feed carrots to your dog is to cut them into small pieces so they are easier for your dog to eat or use in a biscuit recipe as above.
Baking your own dog biscuits is not only a healthier option for your pet, but also saves you money in the process.
If you are looking for ways to keep your pup healthy and well-fed, then baking your own dog biscuits is the perfect way to do so without spending too much money.
Have you ever thought of starting your own dog bakery business, baking and selling dog treats from home? Find out more here about starting a dog bakery.