Our Love Heart Cookies Recipe is really easy to make with only a few ingredients needed that you can usually find hanging around in the kitchen cupboard. This is a nice simple recipe to make with the kids.
- 250g of butter or margarine
- 140g of sugar – we use demerara sugar, castor sugar can be used if you don’t have this
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 300g of plain or self-raising flour, either are fine we’ve cooked them using both
- A knife to cut heart shapes or heart-shaped cookie cutter if you have one
Optional extras: Chocolate chips
Heat the oven to 200 degrees.
Grease some flat baking trays with some butter or margarine
Mix the butter/margarine and sugar in a large bowl, then add the vanilla extract and egg yolk.
Sift the flour gradually into the bowl while mixing. Use your hands to mix the dough together. You may need to add extra flour to get it to stick together. (At this point mix in chocolate chips if you’re using them)
Sprinkle some flour on a board, place the dough on top and roll out with a rolling pin. Add flour to the rolling pin and sprinkle some on top of the dough if it’s still a bit sticky.
Cut out the heart shapes with your knife or cookie cutter. We did ours by hand with a knife.
Heart-Shaped Cookie Cutters, Set of 3, 5/8 and 11.5 cm Stainless Steel
Place each heart on the baking tray and sprinkle some demerara sugar on top of each one. This gives them a nice golden sparkle.
Place in the oven and cook for 15 minutes until golden brown.