Instagram started as a mobile app to share photos and has now evolved into a diverse social media platform. If you’re looking to put your brand in front of Instagram’s engaged userbase, follow this guide on how to promote your business on Instagram.
With over one billion users and 60% of them use the app daily, Instagram is the perfect platform to build brand awareness and grow your audience. Over 80% of Instagram’s users say they have discovered new products and services.
Create An Instagram Business or Creator Account
By choosing a Business or Creator account, you have access to additional insights, analytics, the ability to advertise and special profile benefits (such as contact info).
I have a business account for one of my websites. I schedule products to Instagram via Tailwind and link to them which is super useful. Try Tailwind for free if you’re not using it to see if it’s for you. You can also schedule posts to your Facebook page, depending on the plan you choose.
Optimize Your Profile
Take the steps to optimize your profile so people can easily find you in search and learn about your business by looking at your profile.
● Use a recognizable profile picture or upload your logo
● Have a searchable username and name
● Choose the correct category for your business
● Write an engaging, descriptive bio. If you need ideas, check out this post.
● Include website and contact information
Use Hashtags In Posts
Hashtags help categorize your content. You can use up to 30 hashtags per post although I wouldn’t use that many as it looks spammy. Use 1-5 relevant hashtags so that users can find your business.
Get familiar with the types of posts on Instagram.
There are a variety of ways you can share content and engage your audience on Instagram:
Your grid displays photos and videos that appear on your profile. Your posts can have captions with up to 2,200 characters. Note that the first two lines of your caption will appear before a “Read More” prompt. With this in mind, write the first two lines to be engaging or incite curiosity.
Stories are photos or videos that disappear after 24 hours unless they are added to your profile highlights. You can post more often. More behind the scenes.
You can post vertical, longer-form videos via Instagram’s IGTV platform. These IGTV videos can also be displayed on your grid and stories.
Instagram Reels are 15-30 second vertical video clips that can be shared on your stories as well. These are a great way to engage your current audience.
From there, you can create a content schedule of what to post on Instagram.
Types of content to post on Instagram
1. Behind-the-scenes. Post content that shows followers the behind-the-scenes of your company.
2. Motivational. Curate shareable, inspirational quotes that align with your brand values and resonate with your audience. Add your company’s branding to quote graphics you post on social media! Use Canva to easily create graphics.
3. Tutorial. Tutorials and how-tos guide your customers through specific problems. Tutorials are great targeted marketing examples because you know prospects who land on a tutorial are there to solve a specific problem.
4. Video. There are a number of ways you can add a video to Instagram, including Instagram stories, 60-second grid videos, 15-30 second reels, or on IGTV.
5. User-Generated Content (UGC). Sharing posts from your followers (UGC) can be a great way to build a relationship with those followers, engage with other followers, and effortlessly fill your content schedule!
6. Case studies and testimonials. This type of content uses real stories to show followers about your product or service. Through real customer stories, you can show that you understand customer pain points.
7. Storytelling. This type of content tells your brand’s story. Even though it’s a story, there should be a lesson here. Storytelling content builds awareness and engages your prospective customers.
By balancing between these types of content, you hit many goals, including expanding your reach, connecting with your customer, and telling them about your business.
Overall, posting on Instagram humanizes your company through visuals.
There are plenty of ways to grow your reach and market on Instagram. It’s a dynamic platform that gives you many ways to connect with viewers and humanize your brand!