Have you ever thought about flipping furniture to make money? In fact, many people do this by sourcing old furniture, doing it up, and sometimes just by painting it to sell it for profit. Sometimes that profit is 100%, especially when the old piece of furniture was obtained for free. This post will give you a few tips on how to make money flipping furniture.
How to find furniture to flip?
If you like the sound of furniture flipping, you may be wondering where you can get furniture from to do up.
Here are a few ideas and tips:
- Look for pieces that are in good condition but need a bit of touching up.
- Check out charity shops, Facebook marketplace, and garage sales in your area. You never know what you might find!
- Scout out local furniture stores and see if they have any sales or discounts.
- Take advantage of online classifieds websites like Gumtree and Preloved and Craigslist.
- Ask friends and family if they have any old furniture they want to get rid of. They may give you pieces for free.
- Go to the local tip, they often have furniture for sale.
- Keep an eye out for furniture that can be repurposed into something new.
How to restore furniture?
If you’re lucky enough to find a nice piece of furniture, you’ll need to decide whether to keep your piece to its original form or transform it into something totally new and modern looking.
Wooden items can be sanded or stripped with a paint stripper, then painted or varnished in a colour of your choice.
The shabby Chic look is very popular and easy to do by applying chalk paint, and then sanding parts of the furniture where wear and tear are likely to occur, giving it an old appearance.
Dining chairs can be refreshed with a lick of paint and replacing the seat cover.
Something as simple as replacing handles and knobs on pieces of furniture can give them a whole new look.
It’s worth educating yourself on how to transform furniture to get the best results, I’ve posted a few suggestions below.
In My Flipping Life, Michele Corwin guides you through the process of creating a successful furniture-flipping business.
Whether you dream of restoring an heirloom to its former beauty or just want to modernize a flea market treasure, Amy Howard has the design and refinishing secrets you need.
A short ebook for Furniture Flipping Newbies. This book outlines the basic steps, from finding free or low-cost pieces to transforming them into one-of-a-kind treasures you then sell for profit.
How to sell furniture?
There are a few avenues you can explore when you are looking to sell your furniture. You can hold a garage sale, and post the items online on platforms such as eBay, Facebook or Etsy. You could also try to sell them to a furniture shop.
There are a few things you need to do to make sure that you get as much money for your pieces as possible.
- Clean the furniture thoroughly before putting it up for sale. This means washing it down, polishing it, and removing any stains or tears.
- Take good pictures of the furniture from all angles. This will help potential buyers visualize what the piece would look like in their home.
- Set a fair price for the furniture.
Flipping furniture can be a great way to make some extra money. It’s a relatively straightforward process, and you can often find good deals on furniture at charity stores or online.
Just make sure to take your time and choose wisely so that you don’t end up with a piece of furniture that’s difficult to sell.