suefoster.info contains affiliate links marked with an *. If you click one of these links I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you, thank you! Please see my Disclosure Policy for further information.
We are all guilty of adding things to our weekly shop that we don’t need. Sometimes though when money is tight we really need to cut back and set a budget.
Here are 10 ways to save money food shopping:
1) Buy loose fruit and veg rather than packaged because you’re paying extra for packaging that gets thrown in the bin anyway.
2) Make a list before you go shopping and stick to it. Don’t be tempted to buy anything else. If shopping online, do the same and stick to a list.
3) Plan your weekly meals before you go shopping. Make sure you only buy enough food for the week and those meals.
*Useful Magnetic White Board Menu Planner Handy for jotting down items for your Shopping List and planning meals for the week.
*Magnetic Menu Planner for Refrigerator Door with Perforated Tear-Off Grocery Shopping Lists
4) Check your fridge, freezer and cupboards before you make your list. Avoid buying something you already have hidden away.
5) Switch to Supermarket budget brands, you’ll find them just as good and you’ll save a lot more this way.
6) Stop buying prepared foods. Cook meals in big batches and freeze portions for another day. *Portion sized plastic tubs are great for freezing meals, they’re readily available in pound shops or Amazon. If your local Chinese takeaway uses these, make sure you save these when you have a meal.
7) Don’t throw away the last bits of cheese. Grate it up and freeze then use it straight from the freezer in dishes or sprinkle over a bolognese.
8) It’s important to set a budget and stick to it, if you go over, go through everything and remove items that you don’t really need.
9) If you go to a supermarket, take a calculator with you to make sure you don’t overspend. Even better, get your shopping delivered using *Delivery Saver if you shop at Tesco. You won’t overspend because you can see what you’re spending and order items to suit your budget.
10) Watch out for the kids or partner sneaking in chocolate. Seriously it does happen!
For more meal planning and how to portion a chicken to save money head over to Joleisa.com.