It’s said that “mistakes are the portals of discovery”, but if you’re a business owner who is just starting out, you know that it really means that mistakes are a financial setback that can be difficult to recover from! Building a website for your business is something that takes some delicate work; you don’t want to make any website mistakes here, as this is something you’re going to need to get your business off the ground.
It’s easy to build a website but the real challenge lies in making it something that people can actually use. It’s not just a face that your business wears towards the rest of the world: it’s the way your customers and fans will interact with you every day. Below, you’ll find five mistakes that are common but that you should avoid making in your business. Once you avoid them, you can launch your site as planned.
- Forgetting the search box. It’s so frustrating for a user to turn up on a website and have to scroll through page after page of information just to find the information that they need. A visible search box allows people to think your website is an easy one to use – and that’s what most people want!
- Stale content. You need breezy content that is easy to read and easy for SEO keywords to be sandwiched into. The better your content and the more you update it, the happier people will be when they’re able to find you. Make sure your content is fresh and replaced often, and people will always come back.
- No call to action. You need big words on your screen telling people how to get in touch with you, and if you want people to download something, subscribe to you, register with your site and share you, you have to tell them to do it. Do it in brightly flashing light-up words if necessary – just tell them!
- Bad optimisation. You will want to be able to show your customers that you are up to date, right? Well, if your website isn’t optimised for mobile and tablet, people are switching off of your site faster than you can say ‘goodbye’. Optimising your website so people aren’t scrolling sideways to find your content is important – get on that now and you’re going to find your traffic building!
- Music in the background. Do you know what people want even less than horizontal scrolling? Pithy music in the background of your website. It’s very 90s and if you have that going on just because someone clicks on your site, you need to remove it. Now. people have different music tastes, and you’re going to chase away possible customers. We have come so far, don’t go back in time.
Your website can be excellent if you fine-tune it to make it work in the exact way that you want. You don’t want your business website to end up exactly like everyone else’s out there, so avoid the mistakes and reap the rewards.