suefoster.info contains affiliate links marked with an *. If you click one of these links I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you, thank you! :). Please see my Disclosure Policy for further information.
Don’t throw out your uneaten bananas, so much food goes to waste these days, make this delicious creamy banana pie instead!
Preparation time: 25 minutes (+ time to chill)
Baking time: 40 minutes
Makes around 8 slices
Pie Crust Ingredients:
1½ cup of all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
½ teaspoon of salt
2/3 cup of Trex vegetable fat
3-6 tablespoons of ice-cold water
Pie Filling Ingredients:
2 cups of whole milk
1 cup of heavy cream
2 large eggs
¾ cup granulated sugar
¼ teaspoon of salt
¼ cup of cornstarch
1 oz. package unflavored gelatin
2 Tablespoons of an unsalted butter
2 teaspoons of real vanilla extract
4-6 ripe bananas, sliced
Optional, to serve:
Whipped cream and sliced bananas
- Place top oven rack in the centre position and pre-heat oven to 400°F.
- Use a stand or hand-held mixer to prepare the pie crust. Add the flour, salt, and vegetable fat in a medium-size bowl and mix to combine.
- Add the ice-cold water a little at a time, until the dough clumps together and can form a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a 12-inch diameter. Fold the dough in half and then in half again and transfer to a 9-inch diameter deep-dish pie plate. Press the dough down into the pie pan. Trim if there is more than ½ inch of excess dough hanging over the edges. Fold the edges of the dough under, and then crimp together with your thumb or a fork.
- Line the pie crust with parchment paper and fill it with pie weights or dry beans. Blind bake (aka “pre-bake”) the crust in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove the crust from the oven and remove the dry beans or pie weights. Set aside. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- To make the filling, combine the milk, cream, eggs, sugar, salt, corn starch, and gelatin in a large saucepan. Stir until well blended and heat over medium-low heat while whisking often. When the custard has thickened and becomes difficult to stir, turn the heat off and stir in the butter and vanilla. Set aside.
- Slice the bananas and line the bottom of the pie crust with two layers of sliced bananas. Pour the custard over the bananas and smooth the custard out throughout the pie.
- Place in the 350°F oven and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- When the baking time finishes, remove the pie from oven and cool completely before transferring to the refrigerator. Chill for a few hours or overnight before serving.
- To serve, top with whipped cream and additional banana slices if desired. Enjoy!
You can also use a *Pastry Wheel Decorator Tool to crimp the crust edges together.
Use *Ceramic Baking Beans to blind bake the pie crust.